Tuesday, March 18, 2014

DIY: HAIR TREATMENT

Thanks to this crazy pseudo-summer winter [sorry New York], my hair is feeling and looking drier than ever. There are numerous masks and nourishing hair treatments available but many of the great ones also cost a pretty penny. Unfortunately my bank account doesn’t always share the same sense of necessity for these products as I do. Luckily there are plenty of easy DIY treatments out there. Most of the ingredients you can already find in your kitchen; like a simple remedy using coconut oil. 
I like to think of myself as one of those 'resourceful' types that seek out simple and easy solutions. Why not find a recipe that contains I don't know... 1 or 2 ingredients? Life is already hard, why over-complicate? If my love life could talk, it'd probably challenge me to a vigorous debate on that. But that's neither here nor there.
It ain't always a walk in the park to get these two frenemies on the same page but cha-ching! My bank account and hair are happy. Double-winning. 
All you need:
-Coconut oil
-EVOO [optional]

Our boy Ziggy Marley... a man of many talents!

What you gotta do:
Depending on your hair length and texture, add a scoop of coconut oil into a bowl and add a drizzle of EVOO. Mix the two well and apply to your hair. If you're like me, the ends of your hair stray from the herd and apparently refuse to retain any moisture. I pull my hair back in a low pony and apply all of the treatment to the bottom. Then I brush through to ensure all strands get attention. This is a team effort so all must participate. 
After application, find a clip and throw your hair in a bun. Wrap your head with saran wrap and let that puppy absorb. [For better and faster results, use a hairdryer to apply heat.] Most common suggestions are to leave on the hair for 15-30 minutes depending, but I leave mine on for an hour. You know, I’m a rebel like that. After the time has lapsed, shampoo & condition as you normally would. Ta Da! Final result is soft and shiny locks. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Smells good too. 
Before & After:









No comments:

Post a Comment